Tuesday, June 9, 2015

HEART HEALTHY PIZZA / CARROTS / SALAD

Hi Everyone,

Today I’m cooking one of my favorite meals; homemade pizza. By making it myself, I can load up the healthy toppings at an affordable price. I can also ensure to the healthy nature of the meal. I will also make oven bake carrots and take advantage of the heated oven. For us, a spinach salad is also an almost daily vegetable.
Last night I removed a frozen roll of bread dough from our freezer. I placed it on a plate and covered it tightly with several layers of plastic wrap. Next I covered the plate with a dark towel to sit and thaw / rise until I was ready to make my pizza crust.

Ingredients:
One Roll White Bread Dough Bought Frozen Then Thawed
½ Pound Mild Ground Italian Sausage
4.5 oz. Sliced Turkey Pepperoni
Two cups 5 Cheese Italian, low fat, low sodium
One cup Parmesan Cheese, low sodium, low fat
Small 14 oz. Jar of low sodium Pizza Sauce
One can Black Olives
One Large Onion
One Large Bell Pepper
8 oz. mini Portabella Mushrooms

Prep work:
Cook the sausage. Drain and place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the grease. Next chop the olives, onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Put everything including sausage (discard grease soaked paper towel) into separate bowls. Place all in the fridge until later.
Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray your pizza pan with non- stick. I use either canola or extra virgin olive oil non- stick.
Time to make the pizza crust. Don’t worry. It’s easy. Use a counter top or table. I use my kitchen counter. Put a large pinch of flour on the counter and unwrap the dough. It should look similar to a large mushroom ball. Here is a picture.
100_6084
Dough Raised and Ready to Roll
Don’t play with it. Put the dough on the flour then turn it over. Begin rolling. Roll just enough to fit your pan; if you can. If you can’t, don’t worry; it’s easy to stretch, once in the pan. Complete this process quickly; then carefully peel off the counter. Lay in the pan with the edges over the rim of your pizza pan. If the dough isn’t big enough, gently push from the middle to the outside edges. It stretches easily on the non-stick spray. Complete this process quickly as well. Next, tuck the excess dough inside the edges. If there is a tear in the dough; don’t worry. Pinch off some of the excess dough on the wall and fill in the tear(s). No one, not even you will be able to tell. Next, use a fork to prick many small holes in the crust so it doesn’t bubble while baking. Don’t destroy your work; just vent it. Next, sprinkle on whatever spices you like. The spices I’m putting on my pizza are; garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, Italian, pepper.
100_6087
My Pizza Crust Seasoned and Ready to Bake
This is what my pizza crust looks like before baking. Here is a picture. I’m going to bake the crust for 6 minutes at 400 degrees on the top rack.
When the crust is cooked, remove from the oven. I’m ready to make my pizza.
Make The Pizza:
I start with ½ bag of five Cheese Italian on the crust ( all spread evenly)
¾ of the jar of pizza sauce (save the rest for dipping sauce)
Italian Sausage
Portabella Mushrooms
Onions
Bell Peppers
Black Olives
The rest of the cheese
Lastly; Turkey Pepperoni on top.
100_6090
Ready to bake
It's ready to bake. Here's a picture.
100_6092
My Heart Healthy Pizza Ready to Serve to My Hungry Family
I bake the pizza for about 30- 35 minutes on the top rack. The time varies. I cut it after 10 minutes and continue baking. Here are before and after baking pictures. Isn't it a beautiful pizza; and heart healthy.
It's hard to see but this pizza is almost an inch thick, and full of natural juices.

Next: My Carrots

Ingredients:
½ bag whole carrots
Orange Marmalade Jelly
Caraway Seeds
Preparation:
Spray baking pan with non-stick. Wash carrots and peel. Cut carrots in half; long ways. Coat generously with orange marmalade jelly and place in pan, flat side up; sprinkle lightly with caraway seeds. Bake next to pizza for 30 min.
100_6097
These Carrots Have a Sweet, Orange, Nutty Flavor
Next: My Salad
Baby Spinach
Shredded Red Cabbage
Cucumber
Tomato
One can Garbanzo Beans / colander drained to remove salt
100_6098
Many Days a Week We Enjoy a Fresh Spinach Salad in Our Home
Next: My Salad Dressing
We use a variety of Italy and Greek combo’s. As long as it’s a blend of canola or extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar plus spices, it’s fine with us.
That’s my heart healthy Sunday meal for this week. I hope you give it a try.
Thanks for stopping by.
J.A. Ireland






No comments:

Post a Comment