Thursday, June 19, 2014

Son of God – Movie Review


Dear Friends,

Recently I had the pleasure of watching the movie, Son of God. This is John’s story, from the Gospel of John; he narrates the story. 
Inspiring Movie about Jesus' Life
The movie begins with John1:1; In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God. And the Word was God. He was with God…In the beginning. He was there in paradise with Adam and Eve; the fall of man. He was there with Noah…In the great flood. He was there with Abraham when he was chosen. “Abraham,” God said. “I will make you a father of many nations.” He was there when Moses led our people out of Egypt. “I will be with you,” God said. He was the light shining in the darkness. Jesus is that light. And the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
John; Writer of The Gospel of John
John introduces himself. He is one of Jesus’ followers. “After what I saw, how could I not be?” John of the Gospel. John’s story; The Roman soldiers are collecting taxes. Occupied and oppressed—Jerusalem. Crucifixion is every day and commonplace.  A new governor, Pontius Pilate is in power.
Jesus walked across the rock hills toward the Sea of Galilee as Peter fished below. Peter is frustrated due to another day of no fish. Jesus walks through the water, and with Peter’s help, climbs into his boat. After Jesus waved his almighty, loving hand in the water, fish from the sea gathered around Peter’s boat. He quickly filled the small, primitive schooner.  In bewilderment, Peter asked, “How did this happen?”
Peter- The Fisherman
Jesus replies, “Come with me Peter. I will make you fishers of Men.” As Jesus continued his ministry, the numbers grew. All who heard his preaching were amazed at his wisdom and felt his power. Scores of people quickly became followers.
After healing the paralyzed man and forgiving his sins, a jealous Rabbi who witnessed the miracle confronts Jesus. “Jesus replies, “The Son of Man has authority to forgive sins.”  In turn, the Rabbi threatens Jesus with charges of blasphemy.
Matthew- The Tax Collector
Matthew soon becomes a follower and Jesus feeds five thousand.  Afterward, Jesus performs one miracle after another.
After raising Lazarus from the dead, he declares himself the Messiah that Isaiah prophesied about. He tells his Mother, “It has begun.”
Jesus and his followers journey to Jerusalem for the festival of Passover. Jesus enters the city on a donkey. He goes to the temple and overturns the tables due to merchants selling goods.
The Roman Government plots against him. He declares, “To see the kingdom of God, you must be born again. You must be reborn. Not in the flesh, but in a spirit. The Holy Spirit.”
Soon, the arrest of Jesus is ordered. Jesus has visions of Judas betraying him and his death on the cross. He has the Last Supper  with his disciples. Communion/Eucharist is created.  He gives thanks and hands them bread then wine. “This is my body…This is my blood…Eat and drink…Remember me.”
The Last Supper- Communion/Eucharist.
Judas betrays Jesus at the Garden of Gethsemane—with a kiss. He is captured. Later, the Supreme Court of Elders tried and convicted him. Their judgment; guilty of blasphemy and threatening to destroy the temple. Their sentence—death by crucifixion.  
Caiaphas and the high priests talk to Pontius Pilate.  Barabbas goes free and Pilate orders the execution. As Jesus is whipped; Judas hangs himself.
Pontius Pilate- Rome's Governor
During the crucifixion, Pilate says to his wife, “Jesus will be forgotten in a week.”
Jesus was in agony while hanging on that brutal cross, in the blistering sun. Later as dark, thick clouds rolled overhead, he said, “It is finished.” After more time, Jesus said, “Father…into your hands I commend my spirit.”  While hanging on that terrible cross, Jesus Dies! Later, after being taken down from the cross, and the crown of thorns removed, Jesus’ lifeless body is prepared and sealed in a tomb. Jesus’ family and followers are devastated, heartbroken,  and lost. Their friend, family member, and Messiah is dead. What went wrong?
Jesus before and crucifixion
Three days later, Mary Magdalene found the tomb empty and Jesus’ body missing. Jesus is Alive!
Later Peter starts the first church. Jesus appears and shows them his nail scarred hands.  
Forty Days Later; Jesus tells a crowd of believers about the Holy Spirit and ascends to Heaven. Peter said, “We have work to do.” He became their new leader. “On this rock, I will build my church,” Jesus said previously.
John continues his story while in exile; But in the light there was darkness. Persecuted for our preaching, all of the disciples died for our cause.  Except one. I must live out my days in exile. Alone. One day, I hope to see my friends again for they are with our Lord.
Jesus - The Eternal Savior
John reminisces about Jesus; The people today- they called you king. They think you are the Messiah. “Who do you think I am?” Jesus asked.
Peter replied, “You are the Son of God."
Jesus says, “I am coming soon. May the grace of the Lord be with all God’s people.”
The movie ends. As the credits roll, and we see short videos from the movie, Ceelo Green performs “Mary, Did You Know?”
Speaking as someone who has studied God’s Word my entire life, I can say this movie was very accurate. A few things were left out and others moved around a bit, but that is to be expected.
This movie was perhaps the best telling of Jesus and his life that I’ve ever seen. I literally didn’t want it to end. My heart was full of joy as I watched Jesus on screen. I felt emptiness and despair when he died and later ascended. He was gone. I can’t imagine the heartache at the actual moment. Seeing the gift he gave us all; paying the price for our sins and our way into heaven-a gift we cannot repay, re-ignites the fire in my faith. We can only love, worship, and follow him. Peter is right; we as God’s people have work to do. Spend time in God’s Word daily and see what He wants you to do.
This is my review of the mega movie smash, Son of God. Watch the movie yourself. I promise you will be moved.

A Follower of Jesus, 
Shepard Cross


No comments:

Post a Comment